How To Break Into Machine Learning?
The trend of using machine learning to solve problems is increasing in almost every field such as medicine, business, research, etc. So, for the present day it has become like an essential skill to be learn. To break into machine learning, my advice is to follow the following steps:
- Step-1: Make Your Mindset. The first and most important step towards learning the machine learning is to prepare yourself mentally to begin your journey. Believe in yourself and increase trust. Think, why are you interested in learning Machine Learning and what is your goal? This will help you a lot to keep track of your journey in the right direction.
- Step-2:Learn basics of R/Python.There are multiple languages that can be used for solving machine learning problems. However, these days “R” and “Python” are the most commonly used languages and there is enough resources & Learning communities available for both. Before you get involved into world of ML, you must have some basic knowledge and hands on programming in one of these two languages (R or Python) which can help to focus on machine learning and with this node you can start your journey towards become ML expert
- Step-3: Learn Basic Mathematics. Since Machine Learning includes much of the mathematical uses for interpretation and optimization so one must have sound knowledge of mathematics before starting core algorithms of Machine Learning. The topics to be covered on Mathematics for Machine Learning are
- Step-4: Learn Data Handling (Preparation/Interpretation/Analysis).
- Step-5: Learn basic Machine learning algorithms. Here comes the starting of core of machine learning. First of all you need to learn the basics algorithms of machine learning.
Here is the list of commonly used machine learning algorithms. These algorithms can be applied to almost any data problem:
You can get dozens of online resources to study about their alogrithms and how to implement using Python/R. Some of the best materials on youtube includes Victer Lavernko, Paul G. Allen School, Andrew ng, Siraj Raval, Sentdex and many others.In addition to these free materials you can also take online paid courses that provides you learning certificates. Some of such online learning platforms are Udemy, Coursera, etc. You can also find several books dealing to the algorithms of machine in internet.
- Linear Regression
- Logistic Regression
- Decision Tree
- Naive Bayes
- Random Forest
- Dimensionality Reduction Algorithms
- Gradient Boosting algorithms
- Step-5: Learn Advance Machine learning algorithms. Once you have mastered in basic topics, then you can go for some of the advance and specialized topics like Deep learning, Reinforcement learning. You can find the materials on these topics over internet easily. Studying and practicing these topics will make you expert in the field of machine learning.